VA Home Loans
Looking to use your VA Home Loan Benefit?
The VA loan is a mortgage loan that is guaranteed by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The program is for American veterans, military members currently serving in the U.S. military, reservists and select surviving spouses and can be used to purchase single-family homes, condominiums, multi-unit properties, manufactured homes and new construction. The VA does not originate loans, but sets the rules for who may qualify, issues minimum guidelines and requirements under which mortgages may be offered and financially guarantees loans that qualify under the program.
VA loans are available to all military branches, both active and veteran. In San Diego County, the VA loan is the preferred loan. Let’s take a look at the reasons why our active duty and veteran military home buyers prefer the VA home loan over all others:
- Eligible homebuyers are NOT REQUIRED to have a down payment. Conventional loans generally require a 5% down payment, and FHA loans require 3.5%. In San Diego County, the VA max loan limit is $690,000.
- No monthly mortgage insurance premiums or PMI to pay. FHA loans come with both an upfront and an annual mortgage insurance charge. Conventional buyers typically need to pay for private mortgage insurance if applying any less than 20% as a down payment. Using the VA loan helps save hundreds each month with this benefit alone!
- The VA loan typically has a lower interest rates than conventional mortgages and allows for higher debt-to-income ratios and lower credit scores.
- The VA loan requires that your home purchase meet the ‘three S’s’. It should be Safe, Sound and Sanitary. All additions are to be completed in a workman like manner.
- Refinancing from VA to VA loan is seamless and quick.
- Energy efficient upgrades: Allows you to borrow up to $6000 to loan amount when energy efficient upgrades are made (purchase or refi).
There are some common misconceptions out there about the VA Home Loan. Let’s clear things up!
- MYTH: “I can only use my VA loan to purchase my first home”.
FACT: You can use your VA benefit multiple times!
- MYTH: “The sellers won’t accept my offer because they have to pay points”.
FACT: The seller can pay for closing cost but it is NOT a requirement.
- MYTH: “My spouse’s income can’t be used to help qualify for the home we want”.
FACT: Yes it can! It just needs to be stable and consistent.
- MYTH: “There is always a funding fee with the VA loan”
FACT: Veterans with a 10% or greater disability rating are exempt for paying the funding fee.
Tip of the Spear Real Estate Team is proud to work with knowledgeable,
experienced and trustworthy VA lenders.
Senior Loan Officer
Kyle is an experienced Loan Officer at Aligned Mortgage and believes it is his honor and privilege to serve those who have defended our country. Kyle’s unprecedented work ethic, dedication to understanding his client’s unique needs and ability to walk them through each step of the home buying process have built him the reputation of a go-to, trusted partner.
Whether he is helping a client buy their first home or their fifteenth home, Kyle takes full responsibility for ensuring everything runs smoothly. Kyle’s favorite part of being a VA loan officer is the ability to make the dream of home ownership a reality for his clients because “you defended it, now you own it!”
Kyle enjoys traveling, golfing, surfing, beach volleyball and supporting both professional and college sports. Ask him about his favorite NFL team…hint: Go Broncos!/Go Buffs!
Senior Loan Officer
A Division of American Pacific Mortgage Corporation #1850
Licensed in CA
Licensed by the Dept. of Business Oversight under the CRMLA
Connect with Tip of the Spear Realtors!
Tip of the Spear Realtors
San Diego’s best Military Real Estate Team! Veteran based and proudly serving Active Duty, Retired and Veteran Service Members with the United States Marine Corps, United States Navy, United States Army, United States Coast Guard, United States Air Force.